Bonus Episode: Recipe Round-Up #5
Learn what worked and what didn’t in the books and recipes we cooked from at the end of Season 2. We found these to be solid recipes for weeknights and for entertaining, and we also take away a few ideas about using flavor components of one recipe to create a whole different dish. Everything is on the table and our testers hold nothing back! And that’s what makes the whole Recipe Testing Process worth its salt. We learn a lot, ask a lot of questions and, as usual, our testers have a lot to say about what we were cooking! You can find these recipes and more on Now That’s A Mouthful Recipes Page.
We’ll be talking about…
- The recipes that we mention in our episodes, in detail!
- 2 books from Restaurant Chefs: Fred’s At Barneys and Gather & Graze; 3 books from seasoned recipe/cookbook writers: Virginia Willis – Secrets of the Southern Table; Cathy Barrow – Pie Squared, and Christopher Kimball – Milk Street Tuesday Nights. We tackled baking – once again – with mixed results in Daisy Cake Bakes by Kim Nelson, and met blogger Clotilde Dusoulier in Tasting Paris. Finally 2 compilation cookbooks, which typically don’t catch our interest until now: Potluck by the Editors of Food and Wine, and then Breakfast by the editors of Extra Crispy.
- What worked and what didn’t for our testing community. Highest rated is 5.0 (Miso Marinated Skirt Steak/Milk Street Tuesday’s Night). Our lowest rated recipe (3.0) is the Dulce de Leche Sweet Pecan Rolls, but to be fair this is a classic southern biscuit recipe not a gooey cinnamon roll, which we think is what disappointed our testing community.
- Most Cooked Recipe Chicken Paillards with Onion Tomato Arugula Salad with Madison Avenue Dressing from The Fred’s at Barneys.
- Most Talked about Recipes: Clotilde Dusoulier Tasting Paris – Oven Puffed Pancake and Extra Crispy Breakfast Cinnamon Sugar Dutch Baby.
- Our “Go Rogue Recipes” from Pie Squared from Cathy Barrow – Pumpkin Chiffon Slab Pie with Amaretti Crust; Pan-Roasted Mushroom and Kale Slab Pie with an All-Butter Crust, and Favorite Turkey Chili Frito Slab Pie with a Cornbread Crust.
- Cherie’s favorite Secrets of the Southern Table by Virginia Willis, including the Cathead Biscuits and Rainy-Day Ribs.
- Professional chef Stephanie Izard’s Gather & Graze, which is inspired by her trip to Belize. The Shrimp Toast rated well with our community.
- Chef Donna really liked the Profiteroles recipe from The Fred’s at Barney’s Cookbook and would encourage you to dive in and learn to make a classic choux paste.
- Milk Street Tuesday Night’s recipes Miso Marinated Skirt Steak, Salmon Chraimeh and Paprika Rubbed Pork Tenderloin. We’ve posted a lot of photos of our testing experiences with these recipes on our Instagram feed, @NowThatsAMouthful and Facebook Now That’s A Mouthful.
- Chef Donna really loved the Bacon Toffee from Daisy Cakes Bakes. And Cherie’s daughter made Miss Geraldine’s Italian Cream Cake the gorgeous triple layer cake, which you can see on our Instagram Feed.
- Potluck is an interesting compilation cookbook with a wide-range of ratings and comments, however our Recipe Testers loved the flavors these recipes kicked out.
- From Tasting Paris, the Bistro Vinaigrette recipe from Potato Chip Chive Omelet with Bistro Vinaigrette is a classic French vinaigrette and delicious. Learn to make this!
- The recipes from Extra Crispy Breakfast are interesting and easy and fun and delicious.
- The cookbooks that the recipes come from and put it all into context.
- Join our Recipe Testing Community. No special skills required, just an interest to cook new, current, and sometimes different recipes. You’ll always learn something new.
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams