Episode 44 Part 1 of 2: Open Your Door; It's Enough
Part 1 of a 2 part series on how to be successful when opening your doors and inviting friends and family together for a meal. We help with tips to enjoy being a host and creating memorable moments. We’ll help you overcome the fear of entertaining and tackle the obstacles about who to invite, what to cook, and how not to lose your mind or your friends in the process. In Part 2, we take a look at different approaches to entertaining and the recipes and menu ideas that come from the people behind our podcast, our Recipe Testers. We’ll share our tips to keep you happy, sane, and help you enjoy the party as much as those you’ve invited.
We’ll be talking about…
- The myth of perfection and the idea that you’re putting yourself on display.
- The art of social gathering and reflect on Martha Stewart’s epic book Entertaining in 1982. How it remains current today.
- Making people feel welcome and comfortable in your home; the generosity of spirit.
- Caring about the experience of your guests while being true to yourself.
- Taking a simplified approach to entertaining: set your intention first for what you can handle.
- Honor the people walking your door; they’ve accepted your invitation, and that’s special!
- Entertaining as a process. The more you entertain the more confidence you’ll gain; you’ll develop a routine that works for you.
- Do a quick clean before the party; wait to do a thorough clean until after the party.
- Tips for success: (1) Keep it simple. Do what you can do with love and joy. (2) Less is more. Use fewer but better ingredients. (3) Make people happy.
- How to set up your pantry for the win. What to stock in your refrigerator and freezer.
- We refer to Episodes 35 – The Purpose of All Purpose Seasonings and Episode 37 – The Virtues of Low ABVs.
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful and #mouthfulpodcast