Episode 36 Part 2: Baking Basics
Baking Basics Part 2 teaches you how to successfully work the baker’s home kitchen and achieve beautiful results. We help you better understand the recipes we baked in this episode and what we learned from the books they came from. We talk about how authors help us with details and their textbook-like introductions so we can succeed. You may want to listen to Part 1 first! In Part 1 we help home cooks of all skill sets level the playing field when it comes to baking by discussing fundamental ingredients and setting up a baker’s home kitchen. We talk with Rose Levy Beranbaum of The Cake Bible and now Rose’s Baking Basics and hear her tips and insights. You’ll learn the right things to do with what you have on hand so you can be a successful home baker!
In this episode we’ll be talking about…
- How to approach baking cookbooks like textbooks and use the information in them not just for recipes, but to learn new or different baking skills from the author.
- Putting yourself in the mindset of being a “baker” to ready yourself for baking.
- We refer back to Episode 36 Part 1, and to upcoming Episode 43 Cheese as an Ingredient.
- The voices of different authors, pastry chefs versus cookbook authors versus bloggers. Detailed information is the key to success, but our tester community agrees that details must come at the time you need them. The information in the recipe must set you up to win, not refer you back to the introductory materials.
- The different types of pie crusts, and how to tell if your pie crust was a success.
- Learning to understand what type of voice speaks to you so you’re able to find the best baking cookbook for your level of interest and style of baking.
- The different cookies we’ve been baking this Season including the Clinton Street Brookies and Cherie’s continued quest for the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, and tips for making a better cookie (add corn syrup; use plastic wrap; use Wondra flour on sheets and rolling pins).
- The different cakes we cooked from this Season including Rose’s Pure Chocolate Flourless Chocolate Cake and Miss Geraldine’s Italian Cream Cake, and tips for success (under mix your batter; use less leavening to avoid sunken centers; room temp egg whites whip up fluffier, though eggs are easier to separate when they are cold.
- Cherie’s Mom’s Perfect Pie Crust Recipe (1 9-inch pie crust): 1 cup flour, ¼ teaspoon salt; ¼ cup cold butter; 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening; 1 teaspoon white vinegar; 3-4 tablespoons ice-cold water.
- Donna’s tip for keeping counter-tops cold while you’re working with dough.
- Our favorite quick breads including Muffins, Twitter Banana Bread, Red Miso Banana Bread, and Cathead Biscuits
- These recipes and more on our website at nowthatsamouthful.com on our Recipes page.
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or signup for our Weekly Updates. You can keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful and #mouthfulpodcast