Episode 35: The Purpose Of All-Purpose Seasonings
When salt and pepper are mixed with other spices and seasonings they become All-Purpose Seasonings. These blends greatly influence our taste experience, and are great to have in your arsenal of ingredients. We talk about the purpose of salt and pepper, these blends – and salt free blends, in our cooking repertoire. You’ve never heard salt and pepper talked about like this, and when we wrap you’ll know just how important this dynamic duo is to our experience of taste and flavor. Listen in…
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or signup for our Weekly Updates. You can keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful and #mouthfulpodcast
We’ll be talking about…
- The specific purpose salt and pepper has on our tongue, and the definitions of all-purpose seasonings (a blend of spices and aromatics with salt and pepper as its primary ingredient). We define other important flavor references like Spices (true hard spices, like cinnamon, star anise, cumin), and Spice Blends (combination of spices with salt and/or pepper as the lead ingredient).
- How salt works in our mouth and on our palate. How it balances other flavors without making any one taste or flavor dominant. We discuss Flaked Sea Salt, Brittany Grey Sea Salt, Black Lava Sea Salt, Fleur de sel/Flower of Salt, Pink Himalayan Mineral Salt and salt slabs.
- How pepper works in our mouth and on our palate. How it blends out and enhances flavor. We talk about Black Pepper, Grains of Paradise, Ginger, Horseradish Powder and Wasabi Powder.
- All-purpose seasonings as a blend of salt and pepper (some form of heat) with aromatics wrapped in. Its job is to make your taste buds pay attention and allow all flavors to be pushed forward.
- Cherie’s go to all-purpose seasoning combo: salt, smoked paprika, onion, garlic, oregano, black pepper, thyme, basil, celery seed, white pepper, and bay leaves
- Donna’s go to all-purpose seasoning is called Chef Donna’s Adoro Spice Blend: salt, red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, parsley, chervil.
- How to use all-purpose seasonings in your cooking.
- How to make salt-free all-purpose seasonings
- Cherie’s go to salt-free all-purpose seasoning: 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 ½ teaspoon basil, 1 ½ teaspoon parsley, 1 ½ teaspoon savory, 1 ¼ teaspoon mace, 1 ¼ teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon sage, ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- How to use Ginger Sugar and Lemon Sugar in your salt-free all-purpose seasonings
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or through our Weekly Updates. You can keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful and #mouthfulpodcast