Episode 61: Where Cooking Begins.
Cooking begins for everyone with an idea. Something that makes us happy and excited to get into the kitchen to care for ourselves and those we love. Our season finale looks at the changing conversation around food and how we find balance in our lives as we navigate life, love and especially what’s for dinner.
We talk about…
- Our idea that a “Home Cook” has changed and the desire to be back in the kitchen, excited about cooking and doing it with your own purpose to be successful is stronger than ever.
- We refer to our BONUS EPISODE Navigating the Grocery Store.
- We refer to EPISODE 51 BEYOND MISE EN PLACE.
- Cherie’s love for cooking and how Chef Donna changed her approach to cooking this season.
- How we can take what we know and run with it to make what we want; we refer to the recipe Shove it in the Oven Stew from How To Cook Without a Book.
- The shift from “testing” recipes to cooking what we love.
- We refer to EPISODE 49 READYING OUR LARDER and EPISODE 5O YOUR KITCHEN, YOUR RULES; YOU’RE READY, which are designed to make cooking a personal experience. We took control back over our kitchen and personal and life choices!
- The cookbook Vietnamese Food Any Day and the recipe Curry-Scented Grilled Beef Lettuce Wraps.
- Our continued interest in cultural cuisine and our BONUS EPISODE CEVICHE; we refer to the recipe for the Vegan XO Sauce.
- Looking for recipes and cookbooks that speak specifically to our dietary and lifestyle choices.
- What we’ve cooked and the conversations we’ve had.
- We refer to EPISODE 54 NOSE TO TAIL AND BEYOND and talk sustainability and entirety; how we are changing the conversation about food.
- We refer to our BONUS EPISODE IN THE TEST KITCHEN Reina Punch and tasting the different Pinot Noirs from WTSO.
- Using our scraps of infused red bell peppers from the Hibiscus Red Pepper Syrup in the Reina Punch Recipe from Batch Cocktails.
- The BONUS EPISODE NO KNEAD DUTCH OVEN BREAD that created a bread-baking frenzy!
- THE BONUS EPISODE BREADCRUMBS; WHEN BURNT IS OKAY and how recipes evolve.
- We refer to Season 2 EPISODE 57 WHILE YOU ARE ONE, the epic 2-part EPISODE 58 HEALTHY KITCHENS HEALTHY LIVES and being responsible for our choices in our kitchens.
- We refer to EPISODE 59 SHARING OUR KITCHEN SPACE comes down to LEARNING from each other.
- A few favorite recipes like the White Bean and Egg Bake from Well + Good and the Prosciutto Thyme & Fig Ravioli with Browned Butter (with Almond and Tapioca Pasta recipe) from Pasta Reinvented.
- What’s ahead in Season 4.
- Chef Donna’s one thing to learn from this season: There is sooo much noise in our world about what we SHOULD do and how we SHOULD live our lives, especially when it comes to food, and caring not only for ourselves but those we care and cook for. But the reality of all of it all is that ONLY VOICE THAT MATTERS is yours… ESPECIALLY when it comes to cooking! You KNOW what you like, trust that. WE’RE HERE to help you figure out the best and most delicious way to get it on your table. Just commit to the idea of cooking, and keep listening to NOW THAT’S A MOUTHFUL podcast. We’ll get you the rest of the way there!
- Cherie’s Wrap: Season 3 is filled with wonderful discussions and a wide variety of cookbooks from many different authors. I enjoy our podcast episodes that pushed the envelope and make me think outside of the box. I love that these conversations, and the feedback we receive from our listeners and recipe testers challenge my way of thinking about my home kitchen, and me as a home cook. I gain confidence, feel empowered and better informed because of the conversations we have. I step into my kitchen each day knowing that you are too, and that I have balance in my life, love in my heart and I appreciate, what’s for dinner.
Join our community of Home Cooks and Chefs at Now That’s a Mouthful or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams.