Episode 58, Part 2: Healthy Kitchens, Healthy Lives.
We’re changing up the conversation about the idea of healthy eating and dieting . In our two part episode we talk about balancing our lives in a world filled with competing ideas of what’s healthy and good for us. In PART 1 we talk about the idea of “healthy” and what it means to be responsible for our own food choices. In PART 2 we help you design a blueprint for creating a kitchen around the foods that support and encourage you toward optimal health, and gives you the flexibility to discover and make food that is appealing, efficient and practical for whatever your lifestyle.
We talk about…
- EPISODE 58 Part 1, a tough but important conversation to have about food, health, dieting and dietary platforms.
- Being creative in our kitchens.
- We refer to EPISODE 49: READYING OUR LARDER and our BONUS EPISODE: NAVIGATING YOUR GROCERY STORE.
- The importance of shopping local when possible.
- Finding your happy place around food and cooking and carrying that into your kitchen; carry a healthy, good and delicious mindset with you into your kitchen.
- Our upcoming EPISODE 59 on sharing your kitchen space.
- How to bring what’s good and right for you into your kitchen; it’s enough.
- There’s a lot to balance. It goes beyond the food. Have what you love in your kitchen and you’ll be happy to cook.
- EPISODE 51 BEYOND MISE EN PLACE: ingredients in their most natural form are easiest to create into a meal.
- EPISODE 52 THE NIMBLE COOK and being flexible with what you have on hand.
- Our foods we like and that our bodies need and digest well changes over time and as we age.
- Using seasonings and spices or fresh herbs to keep your foods flavorful; make wise decisions for your optimal health.
- Chef Donna’s Suay (pron sū – way; Thai for beautiful) all-purpose seasoning.
- Ideas to inspire your cooking, and different places to find recipes that speak to you.
- The creativity of the kitchen and especially the healthy kitchen.
- Chef Donna’s trick for making labneh quickly: wrap greek-style yogurt in paper-towels and the whey is absorbed out faster than having it hang in your refrigerator. As it thickens add seasoning(s) or additions to flavor the “yogurt cheese.”
- Remember to ask the other important question “what am I hungry for?” Cook for that need.
- Celebrate life and the variety food and new ideas every time you step into the kitchen.
- Chef Donna’s one thing to learn from this episode: The world of dieting and dietary platforms, health and nutritional wellness is changing so fast it’s nearly impossible to keep up. Look – it comes down to this: What defines our healthy kitchens – or even our healthy lives – depends on you and your willingness to conscientiously choose the foods and platforms that make you feel your best. You do that, and you’ll be well on your way to balancing life, love and especially, what’s for dinner!
- Cherie’s wrap: The choices you make about what you eat, and drink truly matter. Stepping into your kitchen with a happy and healthy mindset to care for yourself and those you're cooking for shifts your focus and gives you the chance to prepare a variety of amazing and delicious foods that give you the nutrients you need to feel good, have energy and be at your very best. This is the greatest gift you can give your body- and those you love!
Join our community of Home Cooks and Chefs at Now That’s a Mouthful or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams.