Episode 55: Bread Dough + Pastry Dough = Endless Possibilities.
Making bread dough and pastry dough is easy and should be part of your kitchen repertoire. Fear not! We’re sharing out secrets, tips and tricks to the easiest no-knead bread and a brioche dough, plus we talk about working the easiest pastry dough called pate a choux into your home kitchen. We finish with tips for making your best cookie dough ever and from there, the sky is the limit.
We talk about…
- Episode 45 COOKING ACROSS THE GENERATIONS and pie crusts.
- Balancing the amount of detail and information that make us successful in the kitchen. Do modern cookbooks provide us enough?
- No Knead Dutch Oven Bread from Dinner Just for Two.
- Our Bonus Episode The Edible Garnish.
- The Brioche dough recipe from Baking at Republique and its many uses.
- The solid, useful and detailed information contained in our BAKING BASICS EPISODE 36 PARTS 1 AND PART 2
- The importance of having a vision for your outcome when working with the pastry; read your recipe over and again and use a finished photo of the pastry as your guide. You WILL get to where you’re going.
- Have your ingredients ready to go; mise en place (everything in it’s place).
- Pâte à Choux (pron pat eh shoo) dough is another classic dough that is easy to make and gives you lots of options in your kitchen.
- The ease of making Pâte à Choux, that it’s virtually foolproof and freezable; the possibilities are endless.
- Tips for cookie dough of all types.
- Decide what type of cookie and cookie texture you like best. Bake to that result usually by the length of time you cream your sugar and butter: more time is a lighter cakey cookie; less = thinner and crisper.
- Let your cookie dough cure over night in the refrigerator.
- Use parchment for cookies instead of silpat.
- Chef Donna’s One thing to learn from this episode: Bread and Pastry dough can be easy and you should try them at least once. When you do you’ll find that fresh, delicious breads, pastries and cookies can become an effortless part of your home kitchen repertoire. Try these recipes and you’ll see for yourself!
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams.