Bonus Episode: Recipe Roundup #6
Learn what worked and what didn’t as we review the cookbooks and recipes we’re talking about in Season 3. We look at books from seasoned cookbook authors, celebrities, and popular bloggers, to give us ideas about creating meals for family and friends, and a good dose of baking, too. Everything is on the table and our testers hold nothing back as we talk with our recipe testers about their experiences in the kitchen.
We talk about…
- The recipes that we mention in our episodes, in detail!
- What worked and what didn’t for our testing community. Highest rated is 5.0 (Bourbon Balls / Red Truck Bakery; Mussels and Caramelized Fennel Cream / Let’s Stay In; Choriburger and Grilled Manchego and Sausage Sandwich / Catalan Food.
- Our lowest rated recipe (3.0) is the Peruvian Chicken Cauliflower Rice Soup / The Clean Plate; Apple Pie Cookies / Vegan 8.
- Most Cooked Recipe. Sweet Potato and Lentil Comfort Stew / The Vegan 8; Pasta with Cabbage Winter Squash Walnuts / Every Day Dorie; Ham and Cheddar Scones from Red Truck Bakery
- Most Talked about Recipes: Clean Plate because the recipes lacked information, knowledge or instruction.
- We refer to EP 36 Parts 1 and 2 Baking Basics from Season 2 and the importance of weight.
- Everyday Dorie recipes we refer to EP 34 Going Rogue. Pasta with Cabbage Winter Squash Walnuts; Bourbon Pork with Apple Onion; Chocolate Covered Chai Tea Bars.
- Brian Noyes, Red Truck Bakery: Bourbon Balls; Shenandoah Apple Cake; Ham and Cheddar Scones with Scallions.
- Let’s Stay In, by Ashley Rodriguez: Mussels with Caramelized Fennel Cream Sauce; Grilled Leg of Lamb with Spicy Green Sauce; Black and White Popcorn.
- Vegan 8 by Brandi Doming. Vegan cooking, if you’re not used to cooking with these ingredients, make it a different experience. Apple Pie Cookies; Sunflower Cinnamon Spiced Chia Balls; Sweet Potato Comfort Lentil Stew.
- The great thing about the recipe testing process allows you to cook and try different recipes from different authors.
- Catalan Food by Daniel Olivella. Grilled Manchego and Sausage Sandwich and Tester Karen’s idea for making her own spreadable sobrassada, a cured sausage from the Spanish island of Mallorca with a soft, spreadable texture similar to Italy’s ’nduja; Shrimp Scallop and Octopus Ceviche, but testers note that this is a cooked ceviche.
- We refer to Episode 39 The Virtues of Low ABVS.
- We refer to Episode 42 Cultural Cuisine and the stories from recipes come from.
- The cookbooks that the recipes come from and put it all into context.
- Join our Recipe Testing Community. No special skills required, just an interest to cook new, current, and sometimes different recipes. You’ll always learn something new.
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams.