Bonus Episode: Recipe Roudup #9
A look at 6 of the most exciting books we’ve cooked from this season. One that celebrates the art of baking, another that emphasizes the importance of ingredient FIRST cooking. We had some fun playing mixologists with two books on cocktails. Another cookbook that praises the fearless explorer in all of us- discussing homesteading and heritage techniques, and finally a cookbook that offers us a wonderful assortment of recipes just for two.
Learn what worked and what didn’t in the books and recipes we’re talking about in Season 3. Everything is on the table and our testers hold nothing back!
We’re talking about …
- Chef Donna’s and Cherie’s favorite Recipe Roundup for Season 3.
- Baking at Republique by Margarita Manzke and Republique’s Chocolate Chip Cookies., our most talked about recipe this round. One tester compared parchment paper lined cookie sheet vs. silpat and found the silpat took longer by 1 minute. Chef Donna and Cherie discuss.
- Brioche Fruit Tarts with Brioche Recipe and Chocolate Hazelnut Paris-Brest also from Baking at Republique. Chef Donna loves how Manzke gives you the know-how to create bread and pastry dough, then freeze it so it’s at the ready when you want to bake.
- The Nimble Cook cookbook, by Ronna Welsh and her recipes Glazed Seared Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Onion Jam Glaze, the Braised Fennel Antipasto and her Seared Scallops with Ginger and Braised Parsnips (White Wine and Cumin).
- Hear Author Ronna Welsh talk about her approach to ingredient-first cooking and how to master the concept in your home kitchen.
- The idea of preparing ingredients even if you don’t know what you’re going to do with them, and hear Ronna Welsh share how this helps you become flexible and creative in your kitchen.
- Empower yourself with component recipes, referring to the Balsamic Onion Jam Glaze recipe from the Glazed Seared Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Onion Jam Glaze.
- Two cocktail cookbooks that set you up to win when entertaining in your home: Let’s Get Fizzical by Pippa Guy with the Twinkle, Old Cuban, and Pink Tequila Fizz Each uses some form of bubbles in the drink! And Batch Cocktails by Maggie Hoffman and the Derby Cup, Grand Prix and Reina Punch with Red Pepper Hibiscus Syrup cocktails.
- We refer to Bonus Episode In The Test Kitchen: Reina Punch where we tested the Reina Punch and the base ingredients for the recipe.
- The homesteading techniques and fresh approach of the cookbook Salt Smoke Time by Will Horowitz. Chef Donna notes that no one cooked from these recipes, but that the book has tremendous value in our modern approach to home cooking. Cherie talks about substituting ingredients in the Brined Lemons recipe, which is necessary because so many of the ingredients are regional.
- Dinner Just for Two, by Christina Lane tackles small batch cooking, and from this book we get some of the highest rated recipes and most tested recipes this round. Lemon Spaghetti with Artichokes and Bread Crumbs, Hot Honey Lime Glazed Protein of Choice, and No Knead Dutch Oven Bread.
- Our promotional partner Torchbearer Sauces and how to layer flavor with heat by adding a splash of their highly flavored sauces where spicy/piquante ingredients are called for.
- No Knead Dutch Oven Bonus Episode, our bread baking frenzy, and how we learned in some climates we need to adjust the rise time and the bake time.
Join our community of Home Cooks and Chefs at Now That’s a Mouthful or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams.