Bonus Episode: Recipe Roudup #7
Celebrating 5 Cookbooks and their recipes that get you in the kitchen to cook for others, take care of yourself, and learn how to master basic cooking techniques so you are free from having to rely on a recipe to make the meal you want. These books and recipes are about as different as you get, and we sort it all out for you so you can find the best recipe and cookbook for your cooking style.
We talk about…
- The recipes that we mention in our podcast episodes, in detail!
- What worked and what didn’t for our testing community. Highest rated recipes include Farro Bibimbap Bowls (Damn Delicious Meal Prep) and Chicken Roulades with Goat Cheese and Asparagus (Dinner for Everyone)
- Lowest rated recipes, which still make these site worthy are Cinnamon Cream Cheese Bagels Cinnamon Raisin Sweet Potato Bagels with Maple Cashew Cream Cheese (Inspiralized & Beyond) and the Lentil & Walnut Pate (Vegan) (Kindness & Salt)
- Going Rogue Award – Korean Meal Prep Beef Bowls from Damn Delicious Meal Prep
- Most Cooked Recipe: Mustardy Mushroom and Kale Stroganoff from Dinner for Everyone
- Our community’s insights and our review of Kindness & Salt and our MOST TALKED ABOUT RECIPE: Lentil & Walnut Pate recipe requires Beluga Lentils, which are hard to find.
- Other recipes from Kindness & Salt include Popovers with Honey and Sea Salt and Buttermilk Fried Chicken, which was not tested and speaks to the amount of components and time the recipe requires. Chef Donna suggests making the Balsamic Spiked Maple Syrup from that recipe, it’s delicious!
- We refer to EPISODE 51 BEYOND MISE EN PLACE.
- More about Damn Delicious Meal Prep and the Green Broccoli Detox Soup: one cook suggests using a Vitamix Professional-grade Blender instead of a standard home blender.
- Chef Donna’s and Cherie’s tips for peeling, grating and using ginger.
- Recipes from Inspiralized & Beyond. Cinnamon Raisin Sweet Potato Bagels with Maple Cashew Cream Cheese, rated well enough to land on our site, but had some issues crisping. The Cream Cheese was delicious, but made an abundant amount; Cherie suggests using a mini bundt cake pan if you don’t have a donut pan. In the Shephards Pie with Celeraic and Butternut Crust recipe, the author encourages you to go rogue! And, our one tester’s (and Chef Donna confirms) changes that make the Avocado and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream so much better!
- Use our new #NTAMgrams. Post and follow us!
- Chef Donna indulges in a Chocolate Chip Cookie from Baking at Republique, reviewed and coming up in Recipe Round Up #9!
- Recipes from How To Cook Without A Book, by Pam Anderson. This book gives you the courage to jump in and understand how one basic recipe can become so many beautiful recipes. We cooked Vat of Tomato Sauce, Shove it in the Oven Stew, and Thai Chicken Coconut Soup. One cook shares her idea to use milk instead of water to make a slurry for the sauce in the Stew And in the Soup recipe we discuss the way to vary heat/spice level and idea for freezing curry paste.
- Recipes from Dinner for Everyone by Mark Bittman is a departure from his “How To” series. Mustardy Mushroom Kale Stroganoff, was one of the most cooked recipes. Chef Donna trouble-shoots the issues mushrooms create in this dish. Chicken Roulades with Goat Cheese and Asparagus, and Skillet Teriyaki all are terrific recipes.
Join our community of Home Cooks and Chefs at Now That’s a Mouthful or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams.