Bonus Episode: Recipe Roundup #11.
This round up has something for everyone from Mexican party–themed recipes, to recipes designed by teenagers for teenagers, to a historical look at food and flavors that tee’s us up to dive into Season 4, when we’ll be taking a closer look at the foods and flavors that define us in our cultures and our kitchens with tropical cocktails, southern-style cooking, and of course, some hard-core grilling.
Everything is on the table and our testers hold nothing back! And that’s what makes the whole Recipe Testing Process worth its salt. We learn a lot, ask a lot of questions and, as usual, our testers have a lot to say about what we were cooking! You can find these recipes and more on Now That’s A Mouthful Recipes Page.
We talk about …
- The common theme that food and drink brings us all together.
- How to join our community of Home Cooks and Recipe Testers.
- Highest rated recipes Cheesy Panko Crisps and Chocolate Cranberry Almond Bars from The Teen Kitchen. The Hot & Spicy Cabbage Slaw, from A Taste of History and Mango Mojito
- Lowest rated recipe Carrot Cake Pancakes (with homemade apple sauce).
- Most cooked Grilled Peach, Cucumber and Tomato Salad and Hot & Spicy Cabbage Slaw
- Most talked about the Hot & Spicy Cabbage Slaw and Grilled Peach, Cucumber and Tomato Salad.
- Life is a Party, and the Trio of Aqua Frescas. Chef Donna talks about the importance of the lime in these recipes. Read our full review here, and get our links to the recipes.
- The Teen Kitchen by the Kitchen Twins, Emily and Lyla Allen. Read our full review here. Our community suggests using fresh grated carrots in the pancakes, and you may want to dial back the sugar or add more spice. Our community loved the Cheesy Panko Crisps and Chocolate Cranberry Almond Bars. These are all freezer friendly recipes.
- A Taste of History cookbook is not a favorite of Chef Donna’s and Cherie’s, however the recipes rated well. This is a companion cookbook to the author’s companion PBS TV series. Read our full review here, and see the recipes for Boston Cream Pie (this is a different recipe than the picture the book pairs with it), Hot & Spicy Cabbage Slaw, which was a favorite of our community, and the Stuffed Kohlrabi, which both Chef Donna and Cherie are confounded by.
- The differences between cabbages. Green cabbage, red cabbage, Napa cabbage and Savoy cabbage for the Hot & Spicy Cabbage Slaw.
- We refer to EPISODE 59 SHARING YOUR KITCHEN.
- Chef Donna talks about the amount of salt taste in different Kosher salts. All salts are not the same.
- Let’s Get Tropical helps you chase your tikki dreams. Each classic tropical cocktail in the book is re-presented in 3 different ways, including a “loose the booze” version. Read our full review here and get the recipes for Royal Palace Mojito, Coco Mojo, Mango Mojito (the loose the booze version.)
- Looking ahead to Season 4 and the foods and flavors that define us, and the commonality of our global table.
- Son of a Southern Chef, and his avant garde approach to social media cooking! Read our full review here and get recipes for Double Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream Sammiches and the 8-thumbs-up review from a lucky little girl, Pepper Up My Sesame Ribs, Grilled Peach, Cucumber and Tomato Salad (our most cooked and most talked about recipe).
- Compare Secrets of the Southern Table Rainy Day Ribs to the Pepper Up My Sesame Ribs.
- Charcoal is a favorite of both Chef Donna and Cherie, but this is hard-core, full-on grilling. This is charcoal grilling, not gas grilling. We refer to our BONUS EPISODE When Burnt is Okay. Read our full review here and get recipes for Grilled Bone-In Prime Rib Eye with Basque Vinegar, Cabbage Baked in Embers with Yogurt, Sumac, and Lemon Zest, Cedar Plank Salmon with Hibiscus Flower Rub.
- A look ahead into Season 4, the books and recipes coming up.
Join our community of Home Cooks and Chefs at Now That’s a Mouthful or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams.