Bonus Episode: The Edible Garnish
A garnish is the truest expression of the saying - we eat with our eyes first. But the wrong garnish or one that’s in-edible can ruin a dish! Understanding how to use food as a garnish, and have it make sense in the context of your recipe, meal – or even a cocktail is simple. We’ll tell you how.
We talk about…
- The garnish as being the quintessential expression of “eating with our eyes first.”
- Edible herbs and flowers.
- What make this dish look pretty make sure they’re flavors that are in the dish.
- The Nimble Cook and Season 2 Cookbooks by Alaina Chernila.
- How to select and use the proper garnish. Use what you have; consider adding a textural element with the garnish.
- A garnish should have meaning on the plate; it should signal a taste or flavor to come or compliment the flavors of the dish.
- The different ways to apply a garnish: Layering / Dusting / Placing / Drizzling / Splashing
- Tablescapes as a way to introduce the meal. Make your table meaningful or purposeful in the context of what you are serving.
- Edible insects as a garnish
- Chef Donna’s one thing to learn from this episode: Garnishes should be as thoughtful – if not more thoughtful – than your dish! Think about what truly is going to add to and elevate the flavors you’re working with, and make sure it’s visually stunning.
Join us at Now That’s a Mouthful as a Recipe Tester or signup for our Weekly Updates. Keep the conversation going by joining us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag us by using #nowthatsamouthful, #mouthfulpodcast, and #NTAMgrams